Avoiding Fire Damage and Claims
Now is the perfect time of the year to safeguard your home from fires as the weather is changing and new year activities are in full swing. It's also the perfect time to check out your insurance policies. It is important for you to know what perils your policy protects you from. It is also important to know how you can prevent claims from things like fire. Here are some things that will help you keep your family safe from fire and prevent you from filing claims during the colder months of the year.
Keeping Up With Claims and How to Avoid Fire Damage
There are a lot of things that your insurance can protect you from. One of the most common perils that it covers is fire. Here are some of the things that you will want to know so you can stay safe and avoid those nasty claims.
- One way to avoid having to file a fire claim is to keep your home clear of open flames. It is never a good idea to leave a candle alone. It is a good idea to have your fireplace inspected each year. Simple routine maintenance is the way to keep your home from being burned up.
- Homeowners insurance covers fire damage. The only instance when the policy will not cover the damage is if you set the fire yourself on purpose. The policy will cover everything from smoke damage, water damage and of course fire damage.
- Fire damage is a serious thing. One fire can keep you out of your home for months. Make sure to check cords and wires for cuts. Replace any cord with a new one if it is damaged.
- Never leave the oven on for warmth or leave it unattended. Excessive heat can cause a fire or damage to your home.
- Keep fresh batteries in all smoke detectors. It is also a good idea to check them every year to make sure they are working well. Smoke detectors are the one thing that can save your life in a fire. People do not wake up when smoke is in the air. They wake up when the sound of the alarm pierces the darkness.
Having a fire is no fun and it changes you forever. But there are things that you can do to keep the risk low and to keep you from filing the claim. At Kyle Insurance Group we want to help you with your insurance needs. If you have questions, please feel free to call us today. We can answer all of your questions about your insurance and how to keep safe during the cold months of the year.