Best Ways To Stay Safe and Keep Insurance Rates Low
Thousands of people die every year in car accidents. There are several reasons why accidents happen. But texting is the one that tops the list. A driver that texts while driving has a 23 times greater chance of being involved in a car accident. Texting is not the only cause of accidents. Any time a hand leaves the wheel and engages in other activities, the chances of an accident goes up dramatically.
Tips to Help You Avoid an Accident
There are things that you can do to avoid an accident. These simple tips are the best way to avoid driving distracted. The key to keeping auto insurance rates low is to drive responsibly.
- Put your phone in a place where you cannot reach it from the driver's seat. You may also consider putting the device on silent so your mind does not gravitate to it when a call or text comes in.
- Promise yourself that you are not going to do other things while driving. This promise to yourself will have to include shaving, putting makeup on and even combing one’s hair.
- Return the favor so people know what to expect from you. This means that you should avoid calling people that you know are driving. The last thing that you will want to be is a distraction to someone else. Through your actions, they will know not to call you while driving.
- Take a moment and be proactive with texting and driving. This may include you setting up a policy forbidding distracted drivers within your company. This kind of policy will help keep your auto insurance rates low and drivers safe.
- Make sure that your children and pets are securely positioned in their seats before taking off. This will keep you from having to turn around to make sure that everyone is buckled in and positioned in their seats. It is also a good idea to keep pets in their places and not allow them to roam the vehicle.
- Parents are the best examples to their children. Avoid distracting behaviors that could potentially rub off on your children. They will do what they see. It is important to set good behavior habits early on in their lives.
- Another major issue that raises the chance of an accident is messing around with a GPS. To avoid this distraction, it is a good idea to program your route before taking off for the drive.
- You will also want to speak up as a passenger. Sometimes people that mess around when driving are not even aware of the problem it causes for other people. It is a good idea to teach your kids to speak out if they see their friends driving while distracted.
- Try not to reach for items in your car. This action causes one’s eyes to leave the road and focus on the object—the chances of an accident triple at that moment.
The goal of every driver is to arrive at their destination without an incident. If you have any questions about driving habits, call us today. We can give you the information you are looking for to keep your rates low.